Public Transport In Ljubljana

This is a translation of my Reddit post from r/Slovenia. Yes, I am a Redditor (go, check me out u/whatamIdoinghere46), how incelic of me.

Okay, here's the thing: I don't like to complain. No, let's start again, because this is, of course, the biggest lie of the last decade, forgive me.

In short, we consider ourselves to be a first-world central European country. Ljubljana is a capital and - too much so lately - a tourist city. How, then, do we allow public transport to be so outdated?

I've been away from Slovenia since January this year, living in a comparably sized city in the Czech Republic, where public transport is up to scratch, and then travelling a bit more, so coming back to Ljubljana was almost a culture shock for me (a born and raised Ljubljanaite). Yes, my fault. I should have expected public transport in our beloved capital to be unpredictable, erratic and outdated. I mean, it makes sense that if I'm meeting someone in the centre at eleven, I have to leave home at ten (it would take less than ten minutes to get there by car). And how could I not have expected that at half past nine in the evening (what am I doing out so late on a summer evening?!!!!) two buses number eighteen in a row simply would not be there? Of course, it is normal for some city buses to stop running at around ten in the evening and to run every forty minutes during the day in the summer. Besides, I don't know how I expected to be able to rely on signs which are supposed to have up-to-date information about buses. If it says that the bus number fourteen arrives in twelve minutes, that means, of course, that there is about a seventy per cent chance that the bus in question will turn up at all, and if it does, it will probably be at least ten minutes late.  It is also normal that twice in the last three days I have seen that the driver did not open the back door and people who wanted to get off the bus stayed on the bus.

Joking aside, it would actually have been quicker for me to walk, I would have been home in less than forty-five minutes, and on the Monday night it took me almost an hour with the buses (and the waiting for them).

TLDR: Another Ljubljana resident cries over the LPP (Ljubljanski potniški promet, the company that runs Ljubljana public transport).

Thanks for reading and have a nice rest of the day.

Komentarji

Priljubljene objave iz tega spletnega dnevnika

Who Am I and Other Basics

Nicolas No Nickname

The Inability to Do Anything Right as A Woman